How do I get a Facebook Application ID?Comments Off on How do I get a Facebook Application ID?
Providing a Facebook Application ID for use with the Social Media Sharing feature is recommended, but optional. When you provide this ID, it enables Facebook’s Open Graph Meta Tags, which let you administer Facebook Pages for products (where you can share product updates and engage with customers who have “Liked” a product), and use Facebook Insights to track key metrics.
While the Social Media Sharing feature has been designed to share the correct product image, product name, and product description even in the absence of a Facebook Application ID, because the Facebook “Like” feature belongs to a third-party site, this feature may change or be deprecated over time. Providing a Facebook Application ID helps to ensure that the correct product image, product name, and product description continue to be shared in the event of some feature changes.
Note: When you provide a Facebook Application ID, Facebook Open Graph Meta Tags will be added to your store’s index page. These meta tags should not affect page load time for your store.
To create a Facebook Application ID:
- Go to the Facebook Developers Apps page, and sign in with your Facebook username and password.
- Click the “Create New App” button.If you do not see the option to create a new app in the upper right hand corner, click on “Register as Developer.”
- Enter a name for the application in the “App Name” field. Using your store name is recommended.
- Read the Facebook Platform Policies and decide if you accept them. Once you’ve read the Facebook Platform Policies and have entered an App Name (step 2, above), click the “Continue” button. Note that by clicking the “Continue” button, you agree to the Facebook Platform Policies.
- You may be asked to verify your account by providing a mobile number or credit card number. If your Facebook account has already been verified, you may not be asked to verify your account.
- You may also encounter a Captcha security check. Enter the Captcha code and click the “Continue” button.
- You should now be on the Basic (Basic Settings) page for your app, where the App Name you provided in Step 2 will be shown in the “Display Name” field. Check that this name is correct, and that your contact email address is correct, and then proceed to the “App Domains” field.
- Enter your domain name in the “App Domains” field (e.g. papayadayspa.com).
- Next, scroll down to the “Select how your app integrates with Facebook” section of the Basic page, and click “Website with Facebook Login.” This section will expand to show a “Site URL” field.
- Enter your store URL in the “Site URL” field (e.g. http://www.papayadayspa.com ).
- Click the “Save Changes” button.
Optional step: If you wish, you may also enter additional information about the application that will appear in the App Center, but not on your online store. To enter additional information about your application, click the “App Details” link that appears in the navigation menu on the left side of the page. Descriptions of what each of these fields are for are available on this page by hovering over the help icon beside each field.
Optional step: You may choose to give other Facebook users access to your application. To add users, click the “Roles” link that appears in the navigation menu on the left side of the page, and click the “Add” link that appears beside a user type listed on the Roles page to add a user.
The roles that may be assigned include:
- Administrators — complete access to the application and all of its settings
- Developers — can modify all technical settings and access Facebook Insights but cannot reset the secret key, delete the application, or add additional users
- Testers — can test the application in sandbox mode but cannot modify the application
- Insights Users — can access Facebook Insights but cannot modify the application
- Test Users — can access the User view of the app for the purpose of testing the functionality of that application
Final step: Copy your Facebook App ID which can be found by clicking “Settings” in the navigation menu on the left side of the page, and then clicking the “Basic” link, which will take you to the Basic Settings page. Your Facebook App ID will appear beside the “App ID” field, located near the top of the page. Once you’ve coped your App ID, you may paste it into either the Facebook-application-id field on the Variables page in Store Editor, or into the Facebook Application ID field in the Design Wizard. Your store must be published after entering the Facebook App ID.